Baby or Child who has swallowed something harmful

Substances such as prescription or non-prescription drugs, household cleaning and DIY products and some plants can be harmful if you swallow them.

1. Establish what the baby or child has taken, when they took it and how much they took.

The emergency services will want to know this information.

2. Call 999 as soon as possible.

If you can’t call 999, get someone else to do it. The substance could be extremely harmful and they may need urgent medical attention.

3. Do not make them sick.

By making them sick, you can cause further damage to their throat or block their airway.

Watch how to help a baby or child who has swallowed something harmful (1 minute 3 seconds)